Saturday, August 29, 2009

There's a time for us..

I am happy to report that I have survived the first three days of school! I have successfully not fallen apart, packed satisfying lunches and snacks and managed to get John on and off the school bus for three whole days, with many more to come. He is flourishing and comes home so tired.



And the one thing I have really enjoyed through this is the special time I get with just Hunter. As wonderful as it has been to have days filled with two boys' laughter and ruckuses, the quiet time with just one has been very welcome. And I have noticed that I am able to curb these meltdowns that he has been having. The other day I asked Hunter if he would like to go to the playground and he readily said, "yes". (We have to drive to said playground.) I gathered up my purse and my keys and we were off. But, there was one glitch in the master plan. I had forgotten to take some magazines out to the end of the driveway to recycle them. So, I grabbed that cutie's hand and we walked down the driveway. When I tried to walk back down the driveway to get the car, Hunter completely fell apart. Just threw himself down and pitched a classic fit. He was yelling, "Mama, go!" at the top of his lungs. I realized that he thought we weren't going. He thought we were on our way and somehow I was backing out and robbing him of his fun. Because I was much calmer and determined to start this new adventure off on the right foot, I patiently bent down, looked him in the eye and said to him, "Hunter, we have to drive to the playground, now walk. We need to get in the car." He looked right at me, stopped crying and said, "Oh!" Then ran down the driveway to the car. Now, normally I would have screamed at him and lost my patience and we would have tangled. But t is true that a "word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver." (Proverbs 25:11)

God does know a thing of two about seasons and I am going to embrace this one!

1 comment:

Sharon said...

Jen - I just showed your new design to Nature Boy and he thinks it looks great too. He really liked the background and how it is so stream-lined. I had to keep saying, "but what do you think about the header?" 'cause he kept talking about the layout!! But once he looked at that it got rave reviews.

I'm cha-cha, samba and foxtrotting along with you!!