Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Dead in my tracks..

Somedays the Lord teaches me a lesson and the other day He used my John to teach me.  It was a particularly stressful moment and I spoke too harshly to John.  He looked at me straight in the eye and said to me, "Momma, you don't have to talk to me like that."  It just about nearly took my breath away.   I immediately apologized to him and he again looked me straight in the eye and said, "that's okay, Momma."  How has a four year old (five in 11 days!) managed to find that delicate balance between lovingly standing up for himself and granting immediate and genuine forgiveness when I have not found that in all my 38 years? 

Sometimes I think I have to show so much grace to people that I end up being a doormat and then  I end up not defending myself in a calm and loving manner like John and then kicking myself for it in the process.  And sometimes I think John could teach seminars.... :)

No comments: