Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Running Like the Wind.....

I have begun running. This absolutely amazes me because if you asked me five years ago if I ever ran, I would immediately list all the hazards of running and then give all the benefits of walking. While I still love a good walk now and then, I must admit that my heart is growing quite affectionate of the run. I am not a good runner, I only go about a mile and then feel like my lungs are collapsing, but I am running. The Bible says to "run with perseverance" and while He didn't necessarily mean with a great pair of Nikes and the latest exercise gear, I take that Scripture very personally to my heart. You see, in the dictionary next to the word procrastinator, there should be a picture of me. But, I am learning and as I get older, I am changing. Every night I lay my workout clothes out so that they are staring at me in the morning and when I get out on that street and leave my cares in the dust and I start to move my very tired body, I feel like I am flying and I actually start to feel proud of myself for being there in the first place. So, I long to run for longer periods and one day I dream of running in a 5K or 10K race, but for now I am enjoying this time. And my morning jog may not rival the brillance of Michael Phelps and doesn't have the whole world watching with bated breath, I am there and I am cheering myself on for I am pushing myself beyond my comfort zone. And I am grateful for it. And I am actually starting to look forward to that morning jaunt.

1 comment:

Renee said...

Jen,
You're such an inspiration to me. I hope you keep running and running.... I have to say that when you set a goal, you really stick with it and see it to the end. I wish I was more like that. I'm so proud of you and I"M HAPPY TO READ YOUR BLOG!!!! Love the pictures too!

Love you
Renee