Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Just in time

Yesterday was a day for the history books. I was sad. I had a horrible day filled with tears and depression and I just couldn't get out of my own way. I had so many people I could call, I had wonderful projects to knit and sew that would have filled me, but I just couldn't. I don't usually feel this way too often, not even with the monster of grief in my heart. Usually I can rally myself and laugh and get through the day. But, certain days are hard. And then the phone rang...

This man, Chris, is an older man who lost his wife many years ago and he and his 2nd wife are wonderful people who have taken me under their wing. And, it's amazing to me, but he calls me on just the days when I need it. He's never said one stupid thing to me, he gives me encouragement and love and he's walked this road and I feel like he's cheering me on every step of the way. I even told him it's my time of the month and he understood that grief can seem magnified on days like that.

And then the phone rang again. My dear friend, Lynn, called me and all she said to me was, "I wish I could take this pain away". That's all I really needed to hear - that someone heard me from the depths of despair. No advice was given, no words of Scripture to give me "comfort". Just an ear and some time. To someone who feels occasionally like I'm literally drowning, that's all I need.

And today is better. I read something that normally would have reduced me to tears and I was okay.

No comments: